Prof. dr. S. Middeldorp
Professor dr Saskia Middeldorp qualified as a medical doctor at the University of Amsterdam in 1992. She received her training in internal medicine at the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam and obtained her board licence in 1999 (subspecialty Vascular Medicine, 2002). Since December 2010, she is professor and co-chair of the Department of Vascular Medicine of the Academic Medical Center.
Dr Middeldorp looks after all patients with vascular medical diseases, with a focus on thrombosis and bleeding. She is considered an expert in women’s issues of thrombosis, such as pregnancy-related thrombosis, thrombophilia and pregnancy complications, and questions regarding the use of hormones in women with an increased tendency of thrombosis. Requests for consultations can be sent to email@example.com.
Her present research focuses on several aspects of hereditary and acquired thrombophilia, women’s issues in thrombosis and haemostasis, and the clinical evaluation of new anticoagulants.
She leads the residency program of vascular medicine. Furthermore, she coordinates the module Clinical Scientific Methods of the Bachelor program of the medical faculty of the University of Amsterdam.
Guideline committees (selection)
- co-author of the Pregnancy chapter of the ACCP (American College of Chest Physicians) guidelines on Antithrombotic management (2012).
- CBO guideline: Richtlijn Diagnostiek, Preventie en Behandeling van Veneuze Trombo-embolie en Secundaire Preventie Arteriële Trombose (2009)
- Guideline coordination panel of ASH (American Society of Hematology), chair of Thrombophilia chapter, co-author of pregnancy chapter (2014-present).
- Advisory Committee of the Health Council of the Netherlands on “New Anticoagulants: A well-dosed introduction.” The Hague: Health Council of the Netherlands, 2012; publication no. 2012/07.
- Advisory Committee of the multidisciplinary clinical guidance committee on the safe use of new oral anticoagulants (“Leidraad”, Orde van Medisch Specialisten), as a representative of the Dutch Society of Internal Medicine (NIV), 2012.
Current grants (selection)
- VIDI innovative research grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) 016.126.364. “Thrombophilia and reproduction: mechanisms and targeted interventions”.
- GSK/Aspen grant for investigator-sponsored studies. “Highlow study: Low-molecular-weight heparin to prevent recurrent VTE in pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial of two doses”. € 670.000,-
- Netherlands Heart Foundation CREW (DUTCH NATIONAL CONSORTIUM TO PROMOTE CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTHY AGING IN WOMEN). Leader of the development of female-specific prediction for venous thromboembolism in work package 1.
- Expert physician in the national television program “Missers” by the AVRO (2008-2009).